Saturday, September 1, 2012

Thassos revizitat 7. Sate de munte: Panaghia / Thassos Revisited 7. Mountain Villages: Panaghia


I visited Panaghia on 2010. Now I only passed by, as it is situated on the main circular road of the island, at only 10 km of the capital town Limenas.

The first name of the village was Anastasion, and in 1932 it took the name Panaghia, which for the Orthodox Greeks is the name of Virgin Mary. The church, erected on 1845, is also dedicated to St. Panaghia.

There are some taverns in the village, where the tourists come with pleasure, but also a hotel anf cafes. The old little houses, covered with stone slates are not easy to find among the new, modern houses.

Panaghia este un sat de munte pe care l-am vizitat in 2010, acum am trecut doar prin el pentru ca se afla pe principala sosea circulara a insulei, la doar 10 km de capitala Limenas.
 Panaghia
Initial, satul s-a numit Anastasion, primind numele sau actual in 1832. Pentru grecii ortodocsi, Panaghia este numele Fecioarei Maria. Acesta este si hramul bisericii, ridicata in 1845.
 Biserica Sf. Panaghia
In sat exista cateva taverne, unde turistii poposesc cu placere,
dar si hoteluri si cafenele:
Cateva case vechi, acoperite cu placi de ardezie se descopera cu greu printre cele noi si moderne.



16 comments:

RIZALENIO said...

To walk in this street is a wonderful experience. I can feel it just by looking at these photos. I love the sunshine here. Looks so energizing.

By the way, thanks a lot for your concern re the disaster that hit our country last night.We are all okay. I was monitoring it the whole night. It rained hard then the quake followed. Hope this new month brings happy events.

Happy weekend, my dear friend. Stay safe always.

Traveling Hawk said...

Thank you very much, Rizalenio! I'm glad you are all well. Happy weekend to you too!

VP said...

Something is like our villages, something completely different!

joo said...

I love these white houses with blue woodwork! beautiful photos!

Traveling Hawk said...

I can see this from other photos on the internet, VP. Thanks for the comment!

Traveling Hawk said...

I also like this mixture,Joo. So much that - for 2 years - I painted our house in the village like this.

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

another great adventure. I want to follow in your footsteps to this location. thanks for great images

Kumiko said...

It is really a beautiful place,Traveling Hawk! And I love this church.I like these mural paintings,high ceiling,elaborate designs of this architecture.
And cobalt blue and white,these are Greece color, I love them.

Traveling Hawk said...

Thanks, Julie Scottsdale Daily Photo, you are welcome!

Traveling Hawk said...

Thank you for the visit, Kumiko! I'm glad you like the location we choosed for our short spring vacation.

By the way, please tell your husband to see the Osaka Castle post. I added a photo I forget, me wearing another samurai helmet. May be this one is also a famous model! I would like to know.

Rama Ananth said...

Every picture is beautiful, I especially, like the stark white and the blue painted doors, and the creepers and plants, and the narrow streets.

Traveling Hawk said...

Thank you, rama! Traditionally, in Greece the houses are painted white/blue everywhere at seaside. The vegetation is nice, and there are a lot of pot flowers.

Doug Hickok said...

Oh, I love all the rich colors... you found some splendid images to show us :^)

Traveling Hawk said...

I'm glad you like them, Doug, thanks!

J_on_tour said...

Lovely place and magnificent church architecture. I'm loving the blue & white in the buildings too.

Traveling Hawk said...

Thanks for the comment J_on_tour! Blue&white are the traditional colors of Greece.